Thursday, November 29, 2012

Brussel Sprout Kick

OK I'm on a Brussels sprout kick. Partly because Nora keeps asking for them. I also just renewed my subscription to Everyday food, which is one of my top 3 favorite food magazines. In the December issue there is a Brussels sport with tortellini recipe that peeked my interest. The only draw back was no protein which my growing girls crave. (Where's the meat Mom?) So I also made mini turkey meatballs to go with it. The whole recipe including the meatball still only took me a little over half and hour, and can easily be split up (make meatballs ahead). I was also able to make enough meatballs, that I only used half, and can freeze the rest for another day.
 
 
 





Turkey Meatballs
1 lb ground turkey
½ cup panko bread crumbs
½ cup egg beaters, or 2 eggs beaten
2 Tbs fresh parsley, chopped
Salt and pepper
½ cup parmesan cheese, grated

 Preheat oven to 350°

 In a large bowl mix together all ingredients. Do not over mix. To make mini meatballs, I used a 2 tsp. scoop, and gently rolled each into a ball. Place the meatballs on a rimmed cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Cook for 15 minute, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°.
I usually make a double batch and freeze one.
 Makes approx. 35 mini meatballs


Cheese Tortellini with lemon and Brussels Sprouts
1 pound Brussels sprouts, ends trimmed and quartered
2 Tbs butter
1 Tbs olive oil
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 Lb. frozen cheese tortellini
1 lemon, zested and juiced
Parmesan cheese, grated

In a large pot of salted water blanch the Brussels sprouts for 4 minutes.  Fill a large bowl with ice and water. Transfer the blanched Brussels sprouts to the ice bath, and allow them to cool completely. Drain well and spread them out on a few paper towels to dry.
Meanwhile in a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter, add oil, and onions. Sauté until the onions are translucent. Add Brussels sprouts and continue to sauté until they start to brown.

Cook tortellini according to package direction, usually 2 minutes in boiling water. Using a slotted spoon transfer the tortellini to the skillet.  (A little water will transfer as well, that’s ok, it helps make the sauce.) Add lemon juice toss all ingredients together.
Top each serving with lemon zest, and parmesan.

Serves 6
 
Enjoy!
And, please tell me what you think. I would love some feedback from my now 298 pageviewers.

No comments:

Post a Comment