Monday, March 16, 2015

Corned Beef and Cabbage

Happy Saint Patrick's Day

St Patrick's day is one of my absolute favorite holidays,. I love the food the beer, and I look pretty good in green. I have been making this recipe for over 10 years, and its always a crowd favorite. Every year I ask myself why I don't cook this more often through out the year. One thing I do change up is the way I prepare my potatoes. Some years I cook them along with the other vegetables, but sometimes I roast them, and one year I made smashed potatoes. You have to make it your own. I promise a leprechaun will not come out of nowhere and scold you.




Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage

The meat will shrink by about half, so don’t under buy your meat. I usually plan on 1 pound meat per person.

8 lbs. corned beef brisket (flat cut), with spices
4 celery stalks, cut into 4 pieces each
1 lb. baby carrots
1 large onion, cut into 8 wedges
4 to 5 lbs. baby red potatoes
2 cans Guinness stout
2 medium heads of cabbage, cut into 6 wedges each

Place celery, carrots and onion in the bottom of a large slow cooker. Rinse the corned beef under cold water and place on top of the vegetables along with the spice packet that came with the corned beef. Add the bottle of Guinness, and just enough water to cover the meat. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
Remove the meat and vegetables to an oven safe platter, and cover. Place in a preheated oven on keep warm or 170° Increase heat on slow cooker to high, add cabbage wedges to broth and cook for 30 minutes.
Slice the corned beef across the grain, serve immediately with mustard horseradish sauce.

This dish can easily be made on the stovetop as well. Bring ingredients up to a boil, low heat and simmer for 3 to 4 hours. Remove beef and vegetable, add cabbage and cook for 20 minutes.

Mustard Horseradish Sauce
½ cup sour cream
½ cup horseradish
½ cup stone ground mustard

Mix all ingredients, and refrigerate for at least on hour before serving.


Enjoy Courtney Rathweg, The 30 Minute Mom 

No comments:

Post a Comment